Skip to main content

Thrifty Thursdays - April 5th


Today's haul came from the Boystown Thrift Store on Olmos in San Antonio. $20 total.

Let's break it down:

Soar - Bluebonnet book that I don't have. Plus, a student asked me for a novel about baseball the other day and I realized, I don't have any.

39 Clues - These still fly off the shelves and I don't have this one.

Green - Caldecott & Giesel Honor book. Yes, please.

Minecraft - We had none when I got here. Now we have two. Yay.

Lemony Snicket is always a winner.

The Geronimo Stilton's also fly off the shelves, and I've had several donated paperbacks of them. At $1 each, it doesn't bother me too much if they only last a year.

Brown Bear - the music teacher in me loves this book. It was also a student request last week that I didn't have.

Fart Powder - because what 3rd grader isn't drawn to a book with Fart Powder in the title.

Dragons Love Tacos - and I love this book. Yoink!

And finally - the only book that didn't go into my collection:

The Museum - because my 4 year old niece is about to be at least part time RVing with her family. They plan to stop at a lot of museums, so I thought of her right away when I saw this one. Super cute.

My price OOP - $20.14

List prices on Amazon - $117.42

I saved: $97.28

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bloom's Taxonomy for a Digital Age

Bloom's Taxonomy. One of the things we are constantly hearing in our school is the push for increased rigor in our classroom, as a result of the STAAR tests and others like it becoming more rigorous. We are told to push for higher order thinking and questioning from our students. One of the tools we use to look at how we can increase rigor is Bloom's Taxonomy. But some things about Bloom's don't translate exactly when we are talking about the digital age and the classroom or library. For example, remembering is the lowest piece of the triangle for Bloom's, but remembering looks different when you have instant access to a powerful computer that can use essentially limitless online resources to find answers. I've mentioned to my husband just how much more this and future generations will know about the world around them simply because they no longer have to remember everything they're interested in knowing. If I pass a historical marker for a place I haven...

Podcasting

I'm pretty lucky when it comes to podcasting. My husband, the Chainmail Ninja, is a hobbyist podcaster and professional book narrator so we have quite a recording setup in our home office. He worked in radio for 10+ years so he does the production side of things as well as the recording. I've tossed around the idea of contributing on his podcasts, which are mostly about geek culture and hobbies, but haven't had time to put this plan in action. But for today's blog post, I went ahead and made some time to create a podcast using our equipment. There are three main steps to creating a podcast. First, is the planning stage. Some podcasters prepare using various methods. Some research their topics, but don't do any other prep and speak mostly off the cuff. Many podcasters create a notes page to make sure they hit all the points they want to. Others create detailed scripts for their podcasts. The second step is recording the podcast. This can be done using the inter...

The Clark-Kozma Debate in the 21st Century

In the 1980s and 1990s, as educational technology was first becoming a budding field, Richard Clark published an analysis of data where he determined that the media that delivers instruction is no more than a delivery tool. He used an analogy of a truck carrying the information to the learner. He concluded that the media chosen has no effect on the learning taking place - that the instruction in the only thing that influences the learning.  In 1994, Kozma responded and prompted the current debate. Kozma states that some media have specific characteristics that do effect learning as more than a vehicle. While there is little research to support Kozma's claim, he suggests that the way the media helps shape the learning does have impact and that evaluating this impact requires more than raw data as the media and the way we use it has become more complex and nuanced. Clark has stood by his original conclusions and has even subsequently released articles further supporting his stanc...