Skip to main content

Annie On My Mind


Summary: 
Originally published in 1982, Annie On My Mind is a story of two girls from two very different worlds who meet at a museum and become friends. Eventually, that friendship develops into a tentative romantic relationship. When their relationship becomes known to Liza's school and their parents, the girls struggle to cope with the fallout, eventually separating and moving to opposite sides of the country to attend college. Liza reflects on their relationship as she tries to write a letter responding to the many that Annie has sent her from college. As Liza comes to term with her sexual orientation and relationship with Annie, the two reconcile via a phone call.

Strengths:
The fact that this book has not been out of print since its publication 33 years ago is a testament to the way it resonates with young adult readers. This coming of age story centers around the complex process of examining ones own sexuality and sexual orientation and dealing with the reaction of society. I originally read this book about 17 years ago, and as a young adult reader I was drawn to Liza's character. The contrast between the two girls' personalities and backgrounds make it easy to find yourself relating to one character or the other.

More Books By Nancy Garden: 

Good Moon Rising
Lark in the Morning

 Garden, N. (1982). Annie on my mind. New York: Farrar, Straus, Giroux. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bloom's Taxonomy for a Digital Age

Bloom's Taxonomy. One of the things we are constantly hearing in our school is the push for increased rigor in our classroom, as a result of the STAAR tests and others like it becoming more rigorous. We are told to push for higher order thinking and questioning from our students. One of the tools we use to look at how we can increase rigor is Bloom's Taxonomy. But some things about Bloom's don't translate exactly when we are talking about the digital age and the classroom or library. For example, remembering is the lowest piece of the triangle for Bloom's, but remembering looks different when you have instant access to a powerful computer that can use essentially limitless online resources to find answers. I've mentioned to my husband just how much more this and future generations will know about the world around them simply because they no longer have to remember everything they're interested in knowing. If I pass a historical marker for a place I haven...

Podcasting

I'm pretty lucky when it comes to podcasting. My husband, the Chainmail Ninja, is a hobbyist podcaster and professional book narrator so we have quite a recording setup in our home office. He worked in radio for 10+ years so he does the production side of things as well as the recording. I've tossed around the idea of contributing on his podcasts, which are mostly about geek culture and hobbies, but haven't had time to put this plan in action. But for today's blog post, I went ahead and made some time to create a podcast using our equipment. There are three main steps to creating a podcast. First, is the planning stage. Some podcasters prepare using various methods. Some research their topics, but don't do any other prep and speak mostly off the cuff. Many podcasters create a notes page to make sure they hit all the points they want to. Others create detailed scripts for their podcasts. The second step is recording the podcast. This can be done using the inter...

Bloggin' It Up.

I'm a huge blog reader. I love learning and reading about others' perspectives and I find blogs to be a great way to be entertained or educated. When you follow a lot of blogs like I do, you are going to need a feed reader, or you're going to spend a lot of time checking for new blog posts that aren't up yet, or missing great reads because you stop checking. Back in the day, I used Google's RSS feed reader, which I loved. But Google did away with it, so it was off to shop for a new one. I now use Feedreader, which you can find here . It's simple. It's been around for a long time and it gets high ratings from other users. I'm not that picky as long as interfaces are generally intuitive, and Feedreader is a simple, barebones, feed reader that works. Now, when I started out reading blogs, it was an extension of reading Live Journals. I'm not sure how many of you remember LJ and it's darker cousin, Dead Journal. I had accounts at both and wrote the...