Skip to main content

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda


Summary: 
Most kids at school think Dwight is pretty weird. One day Dwight folds an origami Yoda puppet to give the kids at his middle school advice. Now everyone wants to know if Yoda is really one with the force or is Dwight just pretending. Tommy decides to build a case file to get to the bottom of the mystery. He has other students write about their experiences with Origami Yoda and Tommy's friend Kellen illustrates the file. Meanwhile, Harvey tries to disrupt their case and constantly insults and belittles everyone else.

Strengths: 
The plot of this story is reminiscent of several middle school novels but the story is presented with a variety of sketches, handwritten sections and several different typefaces, making it an aesthetically interesting book to read. Geek chic is now incredibly popular, so the gimmick of the origami Star Wars characters adds an attention grabber to a story that may otherwise seem predictable. The book also includes directions for making your own Origami Yoda so that kids can try their hand at giving out Yoda-esque advice.

If you like this book, try these!
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Sushi Wars

 Angleberger, T., & Rosenstock, J. (2015). The strange case of Origami Yoda. New York, NY: Harry Abrams. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bloom's Taxonomy for a Digital Age

Bloom's Taxonomy. One of the things we are constantly hearing in our school is the push for increased rigor in our classroom, as a result of the STAAR tests and others like it becoming more rigorous. We are told to push for higher order thinking and questioning from our students. One of the tools we use to look at how we can increase rigor is Bloom's Taxonomy. But some things about Bloom's don't translate exactly when we are talking about the digital age and the classroom or library. For example, remembering is the lowest piece of the triangle for Bloom's, but remembering looks different when you have instant access to a powerful computer that can use essentially limitless online resources to find answers. I've mentioned to my husband just how much more this and future generations will know about the world around them simply because they no longer have to remember everything they're interested in knowing. If I pass a historical marker for a place I haven...

Podcasting

I'm pretty lucky when it comes to podcasting. My husband, the Chainmail Ninja, is a hobbyist podcaster and professional book narrator so we have quite a recording setup in our home office. He worked in radio for 10+ years so he does the production side of things as well as the recording. I've tossed around the idea of contributing on his podcasts, which are mostly about geek culture and hobbies, but haven't had time to put this plan in action. But for today's blog post, I went ahead and made some time to create a podcast using our equipment. There are three main steps to creating a podcast. First, is the planning stage. Some podcasters prepare using various methods. Some research their topics, but don't do any other prep and speak mostly off the cuff. Many podcasters create a notes page to make sure they hit all the points they want to. Others create detailed scripts for their podcasts. The second step is recording the podcast. This can be done using the inter...

Bloggin' It Up.

I'm a huge blog reader. I love learning and reading about others' perspectives and I find blogs to be a great way to be entertained or educated. When you follow a lot of blogs like I do, you are going to need a feed reader, or you're going to spend a lot of time checking for new blog posts that aren't up yet, or missing great reads because you stop checking. Back in the day, I used Google's RSS feed reader, which I loved. But Google did away with it, so it was off to shop for a new one. I now use Feedreader, which you can find here . It's simple. It's been around for a long time and it gets high ratings from other users. I'm not that picky as long as interfaces are generally intuitive, and Feedreader is a simple, barebones, feed reader that works. Now, when I started out reading blogs, it was an extension of reading Live Journals. I'm not sure how many of you remember LJ and it's darker cousin, Dead Journal. I had accounts at both and wrote the...