Skip to main content

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children


Summary: 
After his grandfather's murder, Jacob Portman follows clues that his grandfather left behind to travel to Wales in an attempt to find out about the man's past. There he finds Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, an orphanage where children with special powers live together in a time loop, which keeps them safe. Jacob learns about the monsters who killed his grandfather called hallows. The hallows are killing people in the area and Jacob discovers that he is also "peculiar" and is the only one who can stop the killings. The time loop at the orphanage fails and the children must leave their home for their safety when Miss Peregrine is trapped in bird form.

Strengths: 
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has a Victorian steampunk feel to it that is emphasized by the use of creepy, black and white vintage photographs throughout the book. The characters are all very well developed. The plot twists are unexpected and dark and keep the reader interested as the book progresses. Handwritten letters add to the visual interest in the book. The time traveling elements give a science fiction feel to the otherwise horror or fantasy theme of the book.

 Riggs, R., & McGurk, J. (2011). Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Philadelphia, PA: Quirk Books. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bloom's Taxonomy for a Digital Age

Bloom's Taxonomy. One of the things we are constantly hearing in our school is the push for increased rigor in our classroom, as a result of the STAAR tests and others like it becoming more rigorous. We are told to push for higher order thinking and questioning from our students. One of the tools we use to look at how we can increase rigor is Bloom's Taxonomy. But some things about Bloom's don't translate exactly when we are talking about the digital age and the classroom or library. For example, remembering is the lowest piece of the triangle for Bloom's, but remembering looks different when you have instant access to a powerful computer that can use essentially limitless online resources to find answers. I've mentioned to my husband just how much more this and future generations will know about the world around them simply because they no longer have to remember everything they're interested in knowing. If I pass a historical marker for a place I haven...

Podcasting

I'm pretty lucky when it comes to podcasting. My husband, the Chainmail Ninja, is a hobbyist podcaster and professional book narrator so we have quite a recording setup in our home office. He worked in radio for 10+ years so he does the production side of things as well as the recording. I've tossed around the idea of contributing on his podcasts, which are mostly about geek culture and hobbies, but haven't had time to put this plan in action. But for today's blog post, I went ahead and made some time to create a podcast using our equipment. There are three main steps to creating a podcast. First, is the planning stage. Some podcasters prepare using various methods. Some research their topics, but don't do any other prep and speak mostly off the cuff. Many podcasters create a notes page to make sure they hit all the points they want to. Others create detailed scripts for their podcasts. The second step is recording the podcast. This can be done using the inter...

Bloggin' It Up.

I'm a huge blog reader. I love learning and reading about others' perspectives and I find blogs to be a great way to be entertained or educated. When you follow a lot of blogs like I do, you are going to need a feed reader, or you're going to spend a lot of time checking for new blog posts that aren't up yet, or missing great reads because you stop checking. Back in the day, I used Google's RSS feed reader, which I loved. But Google did away with it, so it was off to shop for a new one. I now use Feedreader, which you can find here . It's simple. It's been around for a long time and it gets high ratings from other users. I'm not that picky as long as interfaces are generally intuitive, and Feedreader is a simple, barebones, feed reader that works. Now, when I started out reading blogs, it was an extension of reading Live Journals. I'm not sure how many of you remember LJ and it's darker cousin, Dead Journal. I had accounts at both and wrote the...