Skip to main content

YA Literature

The following (or previous, depending on how you look at it) 25 posts are book reviews with trailers and links to other books that I completed for my Young Adult Literature course this fall. The books were chosen from ALA lists and were read over the course of the semester.

I really really enjoy reading YA lit. It is probably my favorite genre. One of the things I discovered while working on this assignment was the sheer volume of really great YA literature that is being published now. A few years ago, I was pretty up to date on all the most recent YA offerings, but this assignment had me reading many books that I have never heard of. I was able to sneak a few oldies but goodies in as well, since some of the lists included older books like The Hobbit and Ella Enchanted, but most of the assignment was one of discovery for me.

While reflecting on this assignment and my coursework for my MLS during my daily walk today, I was thinking about what drew me to pursue this degree. I think its the idea of it. As I've gotten older, my college, idealistic self is sometimes put aside for the reality of adult life. However, librarians are really keepers of that flame of idealism. Librarians provide snippets of information, they are veritable walking collections of annotations. I used to be sad about the fact that I know a little bit about a lot of things but am not an expert at really anything. A jack of all trades but a master of none. But this is exactly what a librarian should be. How else can we start the conversations that open minds and fill them? My coursework continues to expose me to different books in every genre, to databases and web 2.0 tools and ways to incorporate social media. As I continue to absorb information, it will only serve me better when I decide to switch careers and become a full time librarian.

As a girl, I wanted to be a librarian so that I could be surrounded by books. Now I see what it is that I really want out of this. I want to be a concierge of knowledge. I want to help people seek and know and stretch themselves. 

Anyway, enough of my late night ramblings. Enjoy the rest of your evening and don't forget to curl up with a great book. I've only put 25 of them on here for your perusal.

~Heather

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bloom's Taxonomy for a Digital Age

Bloom's Taxonomy. One of the things we are constantly hearing in our school is the push for increased rigor in our classroom, as a result of the STAAR tests and others like it becoming more rigorous. We are told to push for higher order thinking and questioning from our students. One of the tools we use to look at how we can increase rigor is Bloom's Taxonomy. But some things about Bloom's don't translate exactly when we are talking about the digital age and the classroom or library. For example, remembering is the lowest piece of the triangle for Bloom's, but remembering looks different when you have instant access to a powerful computer that can use essentially limitless online resources to find answers. I've mentioned to my husband just how much more this and future generations will know about the world around them simply because they no longer have to remember everything they're interested in knowing. If I pass a historical marker for a place I haven...

Podcasting

I'm pretty lucky when it comes to podcasting. My husband, the Chainmail Ninja, is a hobbyist podcaster and professional book narrator so we have quite a recording setup in our home office. He worked in radio for 10+ years so he does the production side of things as well as the recording. I've tossed around the idea of contributing on his podcasts, which are mostly about geek culture and hobbies, but haven't had time to put this plan in action. But for today's blog post, I went ahead and made some time to create a podcast using our equipment. There are three main steps to creating a podcast. First, is the planning stage. Some podcasters prepare using various methods. Some research their topics, but don't do any other prep and speak mostly off the cuff. Many podcasters create a notes page to make sure they hit all the points they want to. Others create detailed scripts for their podcasts. The second step is recording the podcast. This can be done using the inter...

The Clark-Kozma Debate in the 21st Century

In the 1980s and 1990s, as educational technology was first becoming a budding field, Richard Clark published an analysis of data where he determined that the media that delivers instruction is no more than a delivery tool. He used an analogy of a truck carrying the information to the learner. He concluded that the media chosen has no effect on the learning taking place - that the instruction in the only thing that influences the learning.  In 1994, Kozma responded and prompted the current debate. Kozma states that some media have specific characteristics that do effect learning as more than a vehicle. While there is little research to support Kozma's claim, he suggests that the way the media helps shape the learning does have impact and that evaluating this impact requires more than raw data as the media and the way we use it has become more complex and nuanced. Clark has stood by his original conclusions and has even subsequently released articles further supporting his stanc...