Skip to main content

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian


Summary:
"Junior" Arnold Spirit is a Native American teenager living on the rez in Spokane, WA. His coming of age story focuses on the poverty and alcoholism that goes hand in hand with living on the reservation. Junior is frustrated with the unfairness of the inequity between his school and other off reservation schools and his diary follows his decision to transfer to a different high school where he feels he can find better opportunities to improve his future and the problems and triumphs that arise as a result of this decision.

Strengths:
What I really found compelling about this book was how Junior's frustration and his world view is so well communicated. Junior sees the obvious disparity between his life and the life of others outside the reservation. He is keenly aware of the effect of alcoholism and poverty on the lives of his family and friends. Unlike many in his situation, instead of shrugging it off as "the way things are," Junior takes his life into his own hands and makes the difficult decision to leave the familiar behind and enter a world where he truly is one of a kind. The unflinchingly real look at the differences in the mindset and expectations of children and parents living in poverty and those in middle or upper class made this book both heartbreaking and incredibly important.

If you liked this book, you may also enjoy:

The Diary of Anne Frank
Reservation Blues

Alexie, S., & Forney, E. (2007). The absolutely true diary of a part-time Indian. New York: Little,
Brown. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bloom's Taxonomy for a Digital Age

Bloom's Taxonomy. One of the things we are constantly hearing in our school is the push for increased rigor in our classroom, as a result of the STAAR tests and others like it becoming more rigorous. We are told to push for higher order thinking and questioning from our students. One of the tools we use to look at how we can increase rigor is Bloom's Taxonomy. But some things about Bloom's don't translate exactly when we are talking about the digital age and the classroom or library. For example, remembering is the lowest piece of the triangle for Bloom's, but remembering looks different when you have instant access to a powerful computer that can use essentially limitless online resources to find answers. I've mentioned to my husband just how much more this and future generations will know about the world around them simply because they no longer have to remember everything they're interested in knowing. If I pass a historical marker for a place I haven...

Podcasting

I'm pretty lucky when it comes to podcasting. My husband, the Chainmail Ninja, is a hobbyist podcaster and professional book narrator so we have quite a recording setup in our home office. He worked in radio for 10+ years so he does the production side of things as well as the recording. I've tossed around the idea of contributing on his podcasts, which are mostly about geek culture and hobbies, but haven't had time to put this plan in action. But for today's blog post, I went ahead and made some time to create a podcast using our equipment. There are three main steps to creating a podcast. First, is the planning stage. Some podcasters prepare using various methods. Some research their topics, but don't do any other prep and speak mostly off the cuff. Many podcasters create a notes page to make sure they hit all the points they want to. Others create detailed scripts for their podcasts. The second step is recording the podcast. This can be done using the inter...

Bloggin' It Up.

I'm a huge blog reader. I love learning and reading about others' perspectives and I find blogs to be a great way to be entertained or educated. When you follow a lot of blogs like I do, you are going to need a feed reader, or you're going to spend a lot of time checking for new blog posts that aren't up yet, or missing great reads because you stop checking. Back in the day, I used Google's RSS feed reader, which I loved. But Google did away with it, so it was off to shop for a new one. I now use Feedreader, which you can find here . It's simple. It's been around for a long time and it gets high ratings from other users. I'm not that picky as long as interfaces are generally intuitive, and Feedreader is a simple, barebones, feed reader that works. Now, when I started out reading blogs, it was an extension of reading Live Journals. I'm not sure how many of you remember LJ and it's darker cousin, Dead Journal. I had accounts at both and wrote the...