Skip to main content

The Lost Hero


Summary: 
The Lost Hero is the first book in Rick Riordan's second book series based on mythology. Jason, Piper and Leo are on a field trip when Jason wakes up without any memory of who he is or what he is doing. The trio discover they are demigods when they are attacked. Coach Hedge, their escort, takes them to Camp Halfblood where they learn they must go on a mission to save Hera. Once they complete their quest, Jason begins to gain his memory back and realizes that he is a hero from Camp Jupiter and is actually a Roman demigod. He has been switched with Percy by Hera in a ploy to try to get the two camps to band together to defeat Gaea.

Strengths: 
Like the Percy Jackson series, The Lost Hero combines the modern world with Greek and Roman mythology in this fantasy novel. Unlike his previous novels, The Lost Hero is told in 3rd person with alternating point of view chapters told by the three main characters, Piper, Jason and Leo. Riordan's casual storytelling style makes the narration easy and quick to read. The characters are well developed and the plot is richly complex and includes a lot of action.

The Rest of the Heroes of Olympus Series: 
The Son of Neptune
The Mark of Athena
The House of Hades
The Blood of Olympus

 Riordan, R. (2010). The lost hero. New York: Disney/Hyperion Books. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bloom's Taxonomy for a Digital Age

Bloom's Taxonomy. One of the things we are constantly hearing in our school is the push for increased rigor in our classroom, as a result of the STAAR tests and others like it becoming more rigorous. We are told to push for higher order thinking and questioning from our students. One of the tools we use to look at how we can increase rigor is Bloom's Taxonomy. But some things about Bloom's don't translate exactly when we are talking about the digital age and the classroom or library. For example, remembering is the lowest piece of the triangle for Bloom's, but remembering looks different when you have instant access to a powerful computer that can use essentially limitless online resources to find answers. I've mentioned to my husband just how much more this and future generations will know about the world around them simply because they no longer have to remember everything they're interested in knowing. If I pass a historical marker for a place I haven...

Podcasting

I'm pretty lucky when it comes to podcasting. My husband, the Chainmail Ninja, is a hobbyist podcaster and professional book narrator so we have quite a recording setup in our home office. He worked in radio for 10+ years so he does the production side of things as well as the recording. I've tossed around the idea of contributing on his podcasts, which are mostly about geek culture and hobbies, but haven't had time to put this plan in action. But for today's blog post, I went ahead and made some time to create a podcast using our equipment. There are three main steps to creating a podcast. First, is the planning stage. Some podcasters prepare using various methods. Some research their topics, but don't do any other prep and speak mostly off the cuff. Many podcasters create a notes page to make sure they hit all the points they want to. Others create detailed scripts for their podcasts. The second step is recording the podcast. This can be done using the inter...

Bloggin' It Up.

I'm a huge blog reader. I love learning and reading about others' perspectives and I find blogs to be a great way to be entertained or educated. When you follow a lot of blogs like I do, you are going to need a feed reader, or you're going to spend a lot of time checking for new blog posts that aren't up yet, or missing great reads because you stop checking. Back in the day, I used Google's RSS feed reader, which I loved. But Google did away with it, so it was off to shop for a new one. I now use Feedreader, which you can find here . It's simple. It's been around for a long time and it gets high ratings from other users. I'm not that picky as long as interfaces are generally intuitive, and Feedreader is a simple, barebones, feed reader that works. Now, when I started out reading blogs, it was an extension of reading Live Journals. I'm not sure how many of you remember LJ and it's darker cousin, Dead Journal. I had accounts at both and wrote the...